Wednesday, November 25, 2020

REFLECTION OF GTM, DM, AND ALM IN MY CLASSROOM

              REFLECTION OF GTM, DM, AND ALM IN MY CLASSROOM

                          

          To teach a foreign language, one must learn about the methods of language teaching and to learn a method one must know the features, advantages, disadvantages, teacher-learner role, and of course the goal of the method. As I want to be a teacher, my study on the Grammar Translation Method, Direct Method, and Audio-Lingual Method will contribute to my future classroom teaching.                                              

                                            

From the Grammar Translation Method, I have learned how to teach grammatical rules deductively. If my classroom is big with lots of students, I will use the GTM method for teaching literature, synonyms-antonyms, translation of the passage, and reading comprehension. As we know that the Grammar Translation Method solely focuses on reading and writing skills, so I will use this method for the lessons that are based on reading and writing. Grammar is the backbone of a language. Without knowing grammatical rules, we cannot get the whole knowledge of a language. This method can bring students’ mental discipline. So, to teach grammatical structures and to enhance reading and writing skills, GTM is more appropriate than any other method for the students of secondary school.

 

                                 THE DIRECT METHOD - English Language Teaching Notes

 

The direct method is used for the practical learning of a foreign language. In my classroom, I will use this method to teach oral communicative English. For example, I will select two students to make a conversation or dialogue. Then, I will teach vocabulary by using different types of realia, miming, and visual materials. I might also diction using this method. DM is best for pronunciation and fluency. So, this method can easily be used for the new learners of a foreign language. My role in this method will be very active and I will let the students correct themselves. 

 

                                       Audio-Lingual Method - The teacher set of instruments 

 

The audio-Lingual Method is one of the best methods for teaching kindergarten students. In this method listening and speaking skills are in focus. By using this method, I will teach the target language through verbal behavior. As the method supports learning by repeating the educator, it will be perfect for teaching poems and other informative lessons that need to be memorized. I will have to be aware so that I can correct the mistakes of the students immediately.

 

As a teacher in my future class, I will use different methods based on the students’ level, classroom size, and the topic that I am going to teach. I will not conduct my class following only one method because every method has its demerits and it is impossible to teach four skills using only one method. So, I will conduct my class by mixing the Grammar Translation Method and Direct Method. I will focus on GTM while teaching reading and writing based lessons as well as grammatical structures. As the biggest limitation of GTM is not using the target language, I will target language in the classroom which is a feature of the Direct Method. Then again, I will not be the only authority of the classroom, I will be teaching my students through question and answer or demonstration so that they also get involve in the class and enjoy the lesson.


2 comments:

  1. If it is possible, it is good to spend time in a country where your language is the native language. Another option is to invite native speakers to spend time with your students both in the classroom and outside the classroom. Students learn best when they are relaxed and feel safe to be themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES MR.RICHARD. YOU ARE ON THE TOP OF MY LIST AS A GUEST TEACHER IN MY CLASSROOM

    ReplyDelete

TOTAL PHYSICAL RESPONSE

                 Total Physical Response   Total Physical Response, in short TPR is a method of learning a foreign language through using p...